Hey Everyone. Welcome to easily the best blog on the Internet. I'm reviving what I started around 2004. I write pretty much what comes to mind, usually hilarious. So take a seat...actually you're probably already sitting...and enjoy.

Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Horse Racing...pschhhh


Something has been on my mind all weekend, and the first part of this week, and I'm finally going to get it out. I have respected horse racing every day of my life...up until the Belmont Stakes on June 5, 2004. In case you've been under something large, and rock-like, Smarty Jones was the favorite. Coming off very impressive wins in the Derby and Preakness, this horse was incredible. Most horses of equal magnitude in past years come into the race with odds of 3:1 or 2:1, or if they're really good, even. Smarty Jones was a racing sensation, though. When the booths were closed, he came in with 1:5 odds. 1...to freaking...5. As the horses crossed the line in the end though, Smarty Jones came up short. A second-place finish. He was beaten by a no-name. His name even slips my mind now as I'm writing. I'll have to look it up later on ESPN.com. The most trite, yet surprisingly thrilling part comes up next. This is when the horseriding, 20-something year old blonde NBC reporter named Bridget or something interviews the winning jockey, and also, in this year's case, Smarty Jones's midget. I will never forget what the winning jockey (pictured above) said. Here come the quotes: "I'm very sorry for Mr. Servis and all the connections for Smarty Jones, but I had to do my job...I'm very sorry it had to be me." Now kids, this is the point of my passage: Don't ever be sorry for winning. Don't EVER be sorry for winning. This is not the American way. You know what way this is?- the French way. The flaky, cowardous, stuck up, snobby French way. Alright, lets let the stereotypes be. This is really not the way to behave when you win. It was America's horse? My goodness. As the winner, Birdstone (thanks E-rock), took the winner's circle, he was booed by the crowd. Completely unacceptable. Thanks for the memories horse racing, because that's all they're going to be from now on.